Sunday, June 16, 2013

Concept Map "with a twist!"



The Harlem Renaissance

I find that my students are constantly struggling with making historical connections between music and history.  Often times, intriguing stories will draw their attention to particular details to aid in making those connections; however, I feel there is still a large gap missing between students linking the two.  In order to fully understand how music is created and the lessons learned from the music notation to lyrics students must first understand how music relates to history and not only the historical impact of music on culture, but culture on music.  Each year my 4th and 5th grade students learn about Blues, Jazz, and Swing.  I hope that this concept map will aid in showing students how music, art, and literature each played a huge role in the development of the Harlem Renaissance thus enabling students to understand the scenes behind the music.

My inspiration for this concept map came from this WebQuest which listed a bare concept map model.  After reviewing this model, I began to find several ways in which this concept map could enable my students with a clearer understanding of music and history.

No comments:

Post a Comment