Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sound Story - Reflection

Reflection:
When creating my digital story, I followed Mayer’s multiple principle as stated in Swisher’s article using graphics to enhance student learning as well as illustrations that explain the process involved in creating note names as a mathematical function.  Swisher also discusses in depth Mayer’s principle of modality in which material is presented both as visual respresentation and auditory narration.  This process has been proven to increase working memory capacity; therefore, hopes to aid in transfering information into long term memory.  This would then in turn reduce the cognitive load needed to process new ideas.  It is also noted in Swisher’s article that when words and pictures are presented at the same time, it is processed by both the verbal and auditory channels as studied with dual coding.  As warned, I was careful not to include text in addition to narration and graphics, falling in line with redundancy and overload included in the modality principle.

One other piece I was careful to pay attention to when creating my slides and narration was the temporal contiguity principle. The temporal contiguity principle is related to the split-attention effect but focuses on the physical relationship between narration and animation.  I was careful that both pictures and narration appear simultaneously in my project.  Swisher says that this too in turn aids in creating connections and freeing up space in working memory.  So I tried to ensure that all graphics were meaningful and presented simultaneously with the narration.  This was easy to accomplish as I was careful to omit excessive text in addition to graphics.

No comments:

Post a Comment